Reds and Browns Evvvvverywhere, no sports reference


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
July 3rd 2008
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

If I’m being honest, blogging is nearly impossible on a trip like this. With the rock-star schedule of being in a different city every night (sometimes three a day like yesterday), we have such a difficult time getting ourselves together for long enough to properly regurgitate everything we’re seeing out here.

Latest Travel: Flagstaff to Sedona, Sedona to Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon To Phoenix
Distance: 320 miles total
Destination Phoenix, Arizona

Right now we’re at Corey’s buddy Grant’s house, where the weather is a stifling 115 degrees during the peak hours of the day. It’s so hot you can literally feel the sun pour over you the moment you walk outside and mute all of the nerve related senses on the skin. Blistering. Awful. I want water.

The Phoenix area is a miserable area to navigate as well. Everything is commercialized and complexed and each of the giant shopping centers lie at least 20 minutes from one another. The interstates are engorged with traffic and the drives are stale and visually blank. My mission has been to see a cactus that stands 30-40 feet tall, and so far the largest one we’ve seen was nearly 15. Maybe as we move further west these bad boys will beef up.

Just to have some detail in what we’ve done, we went to the hillbilliest sporting goods store I’ve ever seen called Cabela’s. Huge aquariums and lots of taxidermy went into the making of this place. They even sold boar and ostrich in a so called café. We ate at Pei Wei, a cheaper member of the royal P.F. Changs food family, experienced Tempe with some local (and not so local) shops, and walked a few miles around a man made lake out in the middle of the desert. I feel like everything I’ve seen though has been part of a country club, where plenty of manual labor and planning goes into anything you encounter.

Kind of a disappointment… bring on the L.A.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb