Wildlife Sightings


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
July 8th 2007
Published: July 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi again!

Today we stayed close to Phoenix, since we have the big trip to the Grand Canyon tomorrow. We enjoyed a workout at the gym here at the Rio Verde clubhouse, and then we went to Saguaro Lake, about 30 minutes outside of Phoenix. It is one of four manmade lakes created by the damming of the Salt River. It is 10 miles long and a popular place for boaters. We took a 90 minute boat tour. From our guide we learned how to identify some of the different species of cacti, how to distinguish between mesquite, ironwood, and palo verde trees, but as for animials, the guide kept saying, " . . . and here is where we would see such and such animal, but it's probably too hot today . . ." After about the third time of that spiel, ole eagle-eyes Nick surprised the guide by spotting a few bighorns. He slowed down and just about everyone was able to see them. The guide said he wants Nick for his new hunting partner!

After our lake excursion and lunch at the Two-Step Saloon, we headed back to Rio Verde. We found out why Aunt Joan had told us to watch out for coyotes . . . Right at the entrance to the neighborhood, I saw a coyote -- sorry to be crude, but -- taking care of business, so to speak. I was quite proud of myself, because I never spot anything first, but of course by the time we turned around to get a picture it had crossed the street and gotten out of sight. Around dusk we walked to the community pool for an evening dip. On the way we saw rabbits and an owl, but the real excitement was when I went to use the bathroom at the pool. After flipping on the light, I quickly did a U-turn when I saw a snake just a few feet away on the floor!

So, that's about it for now. We start our sightseeing loop tomorrow, so I better get to bed soon. Thanks to those of you who are leaving messages. It's been fun to hear from you!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



8th July 2007

Yikes!
Everything sounded good till the snake. ;-) So glad you are doing so much fun stuff. You are a good writer, Jo. Yeah Nick..eagle eyes. You too, Jo. Much Love to you both, Mom
10th July 2007

Just Saying Hi
Been keeping up with your adventures. Mr. Safety said not to follow any more Charlies into the woods!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb