Phoenix with Olivia & Luke


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
January 4th 2023
Published: April 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Heard MuseumHeard MuseumHeard Museum

The Heard Museum celebrates the art and culture of Indigenous peoples of the Southwest. The displays were informative and beautiful. Throughout the museum there were video
Olivia and Luke came out to Arizona for a visit. Rather than bringing them out to Quartzsite, we enjoyed a hotel in Phoenix during their stay. We visited the Heard Museum, Phoenix Art Museum, drove the 36-mile Castle Hot Springs OHV trail, hiked half of the Cholla Trail on Camel Back Mountain, enjoyed the Medieval Times Dinner, and the Musical Instruments Museum. We dined at Lou Natali for pizza, Butter's Pancake Cafe for breakfast, the Local Donut shop, and Little Miss BBQ. All were delicious! We stayed at the Cambria Hotel in Chandler, north of Phoenix. The rooms were spacious, and they have a workout room, pool, and hot tub. It was a fun, activity packed 3 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

WarriorWarrior
Warrior

During out visit they had a doll collection exhibit. These are known as soft sculptures and were created by several artists. Each doll is embellished with tiny microbeads in intricate detail. The dolls provide a figurative reference to Indigenous peoples from the Great Plains and Great Basin regions who lived in those areas during the late nineteenth century.
MaidenMaiden
Maiden

One of the earlier dolls without facial features. Beautiful bead work!
ChiefChief
Chief

Isn't he amazing! Such detail! Every one of the dolls in this exhibit are beautiful!
FamilyFamily
Family

The mother and her children and the horse and pony, each a work of art!
Phoenix Museum of ArtPhoenix Museum of Art
Phoenix Museum of Art

The Art Museum is just a few blocks from the Heard Museum and Wednesdays museum entrance is free. We had to get a photo of this cactus out from before we went inside. We did not take many photos in the museum. One of the exhibits was Narcissa Niblack Thorne's miniature rooms. These are replicas of actual historical interior spaces created at an exacting scale. Amazing!
FirefliesFireflies
Fireflies

This was an infinity mirror room with led lights hanging from the ceiling. It was like being in a swarm of fireflies. Beautiful. The photo does not do it justice.
Breaking UpBreaking Up
Breaking Up

These are burnt embers from a Church destroyed by lightening.
Butter's Pancake CafeButter's Pancake Cafe
Butter's Pancake Cafe

We all enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Butter's. Their menu offers many options.
Castle Hot Springs OHV TrailCastle Hot Springs OHV Trail
Castle Hot Springs OHV Trail

We traveled the 36 mile trail in our Jeep. The ride was overall easy, just bumpy. There are some homes along the trail, which drops the speed limit to 10 mph.
RoadRoad
Road

The trail was wide enough for 2 vehicles. At times the drop off was steep. A few washes to cross down in the canyon, but nothing difficult.
Saguaro CactiSaguaro Cacti
Saguaro Cacti

There were many saguaro along the trail on the mountainsides and in the canyons.
Mountain rangesMountain ranges
Mountain ranges

Some spectacular views of the mountain ranges in the area. Nothing like the landscape back in Ohio.
RocksRocks
Rocks

We couldn't get enough of the rock formations and mountains. It would have been fun to hike some of the area.
Prickly PearPrickly Pear
Prickly Pear

Another cactus found along the trail.
Palm TreesPalm Trees
Palm Trees

The stone wall and palm trees were at the entrance of one of the homes along the trail.
Castle Creek Hot SpringsCastle Creek Hot Springs
Castle Creek Hot Springs

Along the trail is this lovely oasis with palm trees, grass, and hot springs in the Sonoran Desert. It is an inclusive resort with activities such as pickle ball and guided hikes.
Lake PleasantLake Pleasant
Lake Pleasant

The trail ends near Lake Pleasant. The area offers water sports, fishing, camping, and hiking.
Cholla TrailCholla Trail
Cholla Trail

After the trail ride we headed to Camelback Mountain to hike the Cholla Trail. Parking is along the street and we walked about 3/4 mile to get to the entrance of the trail.
ViewsViews
Views

Lovely views of Phoenix from the trail.
HikersHikers
Hikers

We were glad we had walking sticks with us for this trail. It is rated as extremely difficult. The trail is steep and rocky as it traverses the easter slope or "hump" of Camelback Mountain. The trail offers little shade and is strewn with boulders.The summit is 2704 ft above sea level. The elevation change on the trail is 1420 feet over 1.5 miles.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb