Mountains to Desert in One Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Monument Valley
September 30th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Bumpy Ride in Monument Valley 24 secs
Sunday September 28, 2008

Try to blow your mind away - its easy driving from Durango, Colorado to Monument Valley Utah. From yellow fall Aspen colours in the foothills of the 13,000 foot San Juan Mountains to red sand desert, pale green sage and stupendous monoliths rising 300 metres (1,000 feet) from the desert floor.

Along the way the climate changed gradually - becoming much dryer as we entered native American reservation land, first Ute then Navajo. The town of Bluff was true to its name with a pale peach sandstone wall behind and massive rocks along the highway that eroded from this bluff. The only real green was bush willow along the shores of the San Juan River which we followed and finally crossed north of Mexican Hat on Highway 162. Then we turned south west and the “monuments” started rising in front of us.

At Monument Valley our decision to reign in at Goulding RV park instead of the more primitive Navajo Mitten View campsite was a good one because the next day we discovered that Navajo campsite had closed for the season. Our day was over once we hung up the saddle at Goulding’s.

But wait a minute, a late afternoon guided tour of the valley was just ready to depart and promised sunset colours, so we hopped up into the “stage” - a Chev one ton with 20 others seated in an open flat bed. Bennet, our guide had done it many times before but gave our experience his personal touch. Navajo conflicts from the 1800’s with US army, stories of his grandfather, songs, Navajo marriage rituals and good humour, we had full afternoon. Not to forget the red sand “road” that this Chev managed to navigate into more remote valleys and huge rock formations.

The day light was fading - best photography time - we snapped at every stop and even on the bumpy Chev when Bennet would not stop. It was completely dark when we got back to the camp, the sky was alive with stars, time to rest.

But wait a minute, we needed supper and Gouldings has an excellent restaurant. No time to wash off the red dust. No time even for Richard to replace his sun glasses for normal vision. Bennet’s associate Wayne had a scheduled appointment at the restaurant and we had to leave NOW. The Navajo Taco, chili and taco fixings on Navajo fry bread, was huge, we ate only half and caught Wayne’s shuttle back to camp where we collapsed into bed, missing our nightly ritual of reviewing pictures and writing our blog. Tomorrow we need a rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Our Tour TruckOur Tour Truck
Our Tour Truck

African safari style. We were eating red dust the whole way.
Kayla's Artistic Shot of the DayKayla's Artistic Shot of the Day
Kayla's Artistic Shot of the Day

She also liked the tree with totem & friends.


30th September 2008

got the video
Thank you for including the video of the Bumpy Ride. We also have enjoyed the formations in the desert. Though we haven't been to Monument Valley, we have visited other state parks with similar wonders. Ron and Carol
3rd October 2008

You create BEAUTIFUL Blogs, girl!
Wow, what a beautiful site! I finally had a few minutes to look at your site....and of course, what else did I expect except a beautiful amazing presentation! I wanna retire so I can do this too!! Hmmmm need to go buy a lottery ticket...or two...or 500000....love you!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb