Ridin' the Mother Road in Kingman


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Kingman
April 18th 2016
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

You can't get this close to Rt. 66 without going for a ride but when your rear tire is down below the safety limits the first ride you need to make is to the local Harley dealer. After spending the morning at Mother Road HD in Kingman, getting some new rubber and finding that my rear brake pads were 90% gone (did I mention getting the mandatory Mother Road tee-shirts) we spent the afternoon breaking in the new brakes and getting the rubber dirty. Riding the Historic Rt.66 across the desert and through the hills was pretty thrilling and as you ride you can only imagine what it must have been like back in the days when it was only dirt and rock. We found an iconic diner along the way and stopped for burgers and a much needed root beer float while the painters spruced up the outside. Yeah, we are just a wild and crazy couple these days. Most of 66 across the desert is in drastic need of some repair and the constant shaking will rattle the fillings right out of your teeth but all-in-all it was worth the effort. Another item removed from the bucket list. Tonight we load the bike back up and in the morning we head for China Lake where we hope to take a long ride through Panamint Hills and Death Valley. Just hoping the wind continues to cooperate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



19th April 2016

Rt 66
I think I saw that place on my ride last year. Riding the mother road is like going back to when I was a kid. Doc
19th April 2016

Understand what you mean
Yeah, it was like the old days of traveling to Parker Dam with the family when we were young. Beat up old two lane roads pulling a boat and for a weekend on the river.
26th April 2016

Route 66
So many great stops on this highway.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb