Well I'll be dammed!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Hoover Dam
June 29th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cowboy Town


Cowboy city "Williams"...Cowboy city "Williams"...Cowboy city "Williams"...

I'd like to see his horse...



We stayed in the cowboy town of "Williams" on route 66.
This is a place, where you can really have a good time.
Just don't forget to pack your cowboy hat and join in with the fun....

Having left the gunfighters behind, we are making our way towards the "Hoover Dam".

The temperature is now 103 and the heat is just so intense.
It's impossible for us to walk great distances, without suffering heat exhaustion.
(Being from England where it doesn't get much hotter than 80 at it's peak, we were suffering big time)

We decided to stop overnight in "Kingman", just to recharge our batteries and take well deserved showers.


The following morning we continued our journey.........

By the time we reached the Hoover Dam, it was 113 degrees!!!

"You could literally feel all the moisture from your body, evaporating".


Nevertheless, we soldiered on and took some photos of the dam, before heading off for Las Vegas...


See you all in Vegas..........












Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Every day a cowboy gets shot...Every day a cowboy gets shot...
Every day a cowboy gets shot...

All on the streets of "Williams"....
Crowds gather,Crowds gather,
Crowds gather,

for the next gunfight...
AZ9 Motor HotelAZ9 Motor Hotel
AZ9 Motor Hotel

Recently remodeled, but we don't know when. Still felt like a cave to us!!!
CactusCactus
Cactus

In flower.
Where we stayed "Days Inn"  in Kingman.Where we stayed "Days Inn"  in Kingman.
Where we stayed "Days Inn" in Kingman.

Who'd have thought, you could find a place to stay in a desert....
Lake Mead...Lake Mead...
Lake Mead...

113 degrees in the desert....
There were 112 deaths associated with the construction of the dam..There were 112 deaths associated with the construction of the dam..
There were 112 deaths associated with the construction of the dam..

A popular story holds that the first person to die in the construction of Hoover Dam was J. G. Tierney, a surveyor who drowned while looking for an ideal spot for the dam. Coincidentally, his son, Patrick W. Tierney, was the last man to die working on the dam, 13 years to the day..
In this heat?In this heat?
In this heat?

You've got to be joking!!!!!
They charge for everything here!They charge for everything here!
They charge for everything here!

Power plant tour $11.00 Hoover Dam tour $30.00 Car parking $7.00 Visitor centre $8.00
Nevada time!!!Nevada time!!!
Nevada time!!!

Got to change the clock again.
The Colorado River Bridge..The Colorado River Bridge..
The Colorado River Bridge..

Is the central portion of the Hoover Dam Bypass Project.. And it's still to be finished.
Lake Mead...Lake Mead...
Lake Mead...

Togetherness.....


13th July 2008

Togetherness!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a Cracking Photo of you two. Not been many on this trip. But someone has to be behind the camera?????????????

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb