Let's hike down a big hole in the Earth.


Advertisement
Published: October 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The last time I've visited here was when I was about 12, maybe 13 years old with my parents and one was in a wheelchair so obviously all I did was hung around the touristy side.

Without any conditioning whatsoever, I took the opportunity of a lifetime. My new friend, Shelly who I met through couchsurfing had invited me for a weekend trip down at the bottom in Phantom Ranch on the South Rim. Apparently, she knew someone who worked at the Ranch and hooked us up with a loft to sleep in the employee cabin. She invited another friend of a friend, Brian and his dad.

Brian drove and we all stayed in a hotel on a late Thursday night. Early the next morning we drove off to Grand Canyon to catch the bus ride from Bright Angel Trailhead to South Kaibab Trailhead.

At around 9am we started our 7 mile descent down the very steep stairway like trail with just our day packs. It started off at a very slow pace as the views were spectacular we had to stop every few feet to get a photo. Eventually, we all split up and went our own pace - Shelly off far ahead, me second, and Brian and his dad at the back. I didn't mind at all as it was a great time to decompress from the everyday civilization. I loved listening to the sounds of the light breeze, birds chirping, and barely anyone around to disturb this peace I had.

About 9 hours more or less, we all finally made it to the ranch and met up with Shelly's friend at the cabin and got acquainted in the loft above the employee's cabin. Must I say the workers down there are quiet interesting and a bit off. Regardless, of their personalities and how crazy they get at night...they were all still nice people and to return the favor we brought down in plastic water bottles filled with vodka and other hard liquor as a thank you as well offered ourselves the next morning to help clean the cabins and unload the mules.

The next day and our only day to explore. While Brian's dad stayed back to help in the kitchen and make friends, the rest of us went on a light hike up. Shelly's friend took us up to a lookout point which was of course unbelievably gorgeous and unreal. The pictures are what you see but never does justice. We had lunch up there and came back to do whatever. It was so chill it was just a blur and I don't know how everyone could be drinking from when they wake up till they pass out and still be able to hike these crazy trails. Ha!

As much as we all wanted to stay another day, we all had to head back up to the rim. On the way back, we hiked up 10 miles through the Bright Angel Trail; a beautiful trail I have ever seen thus far. It took us through beautiful canyons, creek crossings, rocky terrains, and the infamous last 3 miles known as The Devil's Corkscrew. Somehow Brian and his dad split up from Shelly and I but we all arrived at the same time. By then we were STARVING so we had burgers, fries, and a drink before setting off the long 8 hours back home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1161s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb