Day 1 at the Bar 10 Ranch


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This year on vacation, I decided to stay in the US and visit the Grand Canyon. My friend, Sarah, and I stayed at the Bar 10 Ranch- located just 9 miles from the Grand Canyon's North Rim in the Arizone Strip. There are two ways to get there: by teeny, tiny plane that lands on an asphalt runway or by a truck or other high clearance vehicle by way of a 100 mile dirt road from the nearest town, St. George, Utah. We chose the plane. I saw visions of myself disappearing over the edge of a canyon had I tried to drive on a rocky, dirt road.

We get to the Ranch (Sarah puked on the plane), and are assigned a place to sleep. You can choose from bunk beds in the lodge, outside on the deck, or in a covered wagon. We chose the wagon. After this, we have lunch and then make our way to the old homestead. After this, we took a horse ride. Yes, I did get on a horse and it was fun other than my butt hurting from sitting on the horse. I'm sure it's something you get used to the more you ride them, but it was pretty uncomfortable.

After the horse ride, we had dinner and then departed on a sunset ride on range rovers and ATVs to "Engagement Point." It was where one of the owners of the ranch asked his wife to marry him. It is very beautiful. After we got back we were entertained by the staff. They put on a show for all the guests at the ranch. Sarah was serenaded by Ben (he sort of manages the ranch with Gavin Heaton). Gavin and his brother Kelly own the ranch. Then off to bed to wake up at 5 am for breakfast the next day for more ranching fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wagon #2Wagon #2
Wagon #2

This is the wagon we slept in.
Vision AirVision Air
Vision Air

This is the plane we arrived in.
Whitmore InternationalWhitmore International
Whitmore International

This is the landing strip
AirstripAirstrip
Airstrip

This is the landing strip at the ranch. Kind of tiny
Tha Bar 10 CowboysTha Bar 10 Cowboys
Tha Bar 10 Cowboys

Aren't they cute?
Nature Trail at the RanchNature Trail at the Ranch
Nature Trail at the Ranch

This is a closer view of all the red sandstone you see in the Grand Canyon photos.
Grand Canyon from ATVsGrand Canyon from ATVs
Grand Canyon from ATVs

This is one of my favorite photos from the trip. This is the view we had as we were riding out to Engagement Point.
Sarah & Ben 1Sarah & Ben 1
Sarah & Ben 1

Sarah was serenaded by Ben.
Sarah & Ben 2Sarah & Ben 2
Sarah & Ben 2

Ben is a very good singer.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb