N Rim Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

North Rim Grand Canyon



Today we drove to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was grey when we left St George, and the cloud cover was with us most of the way. Dark clouds threatened when we arrived at the canyon. We packed up for our hike, looked at the clouds, grabbed our rain jackets, and headed off. The plan was to hike North Kailbab to the Supai Tunnel. We agreed that if the weather took a turn for the worse, we'd head back up. We arrived at Coconino lookout, chatted with some fellow hikers and took pictures, and then the rain started. If I were home and familiar with the weather patterns, I might have felt comfortable continuing. I am not, and we decided to turn around. On our way up, we met two mule 'trains' headed down. Oh well! Pictures turned out well, despite the rain.

On the way up, we went through the old tunnel at Zion NP. Very cool! The tunnel is narrow, so traffic is one-way. The terrain in the southeast corner of the park was completely different from what we saw yesterday. Huge rounded mountains of exfoliating red shale and coral colored sand. I wanted to get out to take pictures, but the tiny two lane road made that foolhardy at best.

We arrived back in St George, to 90 degrees and a clear blue sky. Ahhh! 😊

~n


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb