Day 40 - Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: January 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we took the tour from the hostel to the Grand Canyon, and what an excellent day it was. There were only 4 of us plus the guide on the tour, and we had a great laugh all day. Our guide, Michael, made us close our eyes and led us to the edge of the canyon before we were allowed to open them and gaze upon the natural wonder spreading out before us. WOW! It truely is amazing, photos can't really do it justice. After some time walking around the view point, we moved on for lunch to a new location and ate our food on a rocky ridge overlooking the canyon, not for those with vertigo. In the afternoon we trekked for a couple of hours down into the canyon on the Kaibab trail as far as a point called Cedar Ridge which had spectacular views from within the canyon. It would have taken a few more hours to reach the valley floor and the Colorado river. We moved on to another viewpoint to watch the sunset over the spectacular canyon with views far into the distance, the guide explained that you could actually see the shadow of the earth in the distance, a purple haze over the horizon. Later that evening we had dinner at a delicious Thai restaurant opposite the hostel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb