Road Trip 2007 - Day 3


Advertisement
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Holbrook, Arizona to Grand Canyon, Arizona

We almost froze to death in our wigwam as it was more like an igloo. When we woke up in our concrete ice cube it was still snowing and everything was covered in inches of snow. After a quick stop at Safeway to stock up on munchies, we were on our way. Although we considered changing our plans because of the snowfall, we decided to risk it and headed to the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest.

The Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest were worth our efforts. As we drove through the park, we were rewarded with fantastic views of multi-hued vistas, expansive badlands, rocky bluffs, petrified logs, and ancient petroglyphs.

Back on I-40 we made a quick stop on Route 66 where we stopped at an authentic A&W so that I could get a root beer float (a childhood favorite). The person who took our order gave us a strange look, but I’m assuming that’s because most people don’t order root beer floats when its twenty degrees. As we were leaving, we asked an employee about the road conditions leading to the Grand Canyon. “You’re not going there today are you?

In Winslow, we stopped to take pictures of ourselves standing on the corner. Although we didn’t see anyone in a flat-bed ford, several people did slow down to take a look at us. But I’m thinking that was probably because they were wondering why in the hell we were standing on a corner taking pictures in the middle of a snow-storm. On our way out of town, we headed down a one-way road going the wrong way. We like to live on the edge.

We proceeded to Flagstaff, which literally turned into a nightmare. We were driving in white-out conditions and the snow showed no mercy. I began to worry when Rob started to sweat. I got excited when he began taking off his clothes and asked for an ice cube, but then began to panic when he started cursing. Rob never curses. In fact, Rob generally only shows one emotion - contentment. He’s a pretty laid back guy. In fact, the only time I ever see him angry is when the Gators or the Boilermakers lose a game. On one occasion, this resulted in a hole in the wall and a remote control that was in a million pieces. But I digress.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb