The Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were here for 3 nights and once again in our tent. The Canyon is amazing and there are loads of different walks to do. We were told that 95% of people come here for 3 hours and so we were in the 5% that actually stayed for any length of time. We did the rim trail which was about 7 miles from Hermits rest to the Village. This was walking along the edge of the canyon which made for amazing viewing. We also ventured into the Canyon and did the Kaibab trail. We didn't go all the way to the base as they say you need to stay at the bottom as it cannot be completed in a day (and the camp didn't have space), so we walked about an hour into the canyon to Cedar's ridge and back up. This was a lot more strenuous than the rim walk but well worth it!

We also went for a few scenic drives along to the other lookout points around the park and made time for a Wendy's in the nearest town! There wasn't much to do in the evenings so we attended the Ranger programmes. These are outdoors in an auditorium and are fascinating insights into the Canyon!! We went to one on the people of the canyon, one on the critters (not good when you have to go back and stay in a tent!) and the geology/making of the canyon! It was like being back at school but very interesting and free!

We left here for the long drive back to LA. We stopped at Lake Havasu which has the 'old' London Bridge. This may be worth a stop but definitely not a night like we did! There is not a lot except the bridge, motels and cheap fast food joints so we saw the bridge, had a Denny's and stayed in a motel 6!

Back to LA where we stayed in Hollywood and then flew out to Fiji!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb