Organ Pipe


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Gila Bend
January 18th 2010
Published: January 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have been spending some time by ourselves in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. This is the only place in the US where organ pipe cacti grow, though they cover a great deal of Mexico to the south. The scenery is sublime. The canyon walls soar above us and the vegetation is lush. Saguaros, organ pipe, palo verde, mesquite, creosote bush, prickly pear, cholla, jojoba all abound though not always together. Variations in soil and temperature from one turn of a trail to the next will offer a completely different set of plants. We are also on the lookout for critters as well. So far we have seen numerous bird species as well as a pair of javalina and a pair of coyotes. Hiking in the desert in January is wonderful. The temperature is ideal (especially when we hear that home is sub zero. Sorry folks.) We are in a primitive camp spot without any amenities other than a pit toilet. Our prime entertainment is watching the sunset. All is good.
The only thing that breaks the idyll is the reminder of geopolitical realities. The border patrol is out in force as we are only a few miles from the border. There is literally an armada of vehicles that pass us daily. We see several surveillance stations throughout the monument as well as on the highway between Tucson and here. We understand that the unrest in Mexico along the border necessitates the heightened security. But it is hard to forget the post 9/11 posturing of our elected officials in Washington screaming for a fence. It is mind numbing when you consider our northern border and the lack of such militarization. Is it because those are mostly Anglos up there or is that too cynical? Barry Goldwater Air Force Base is also in the vicinity. The flyboys play air games day and night in the skies. The other night the jets were setting a straight-line series of giant red flairs in the sky above us in a "chase me" operation. It was quite disconcerting to say the least, shocking is a better word for it. You don't expect to see huge balls of light strung out across a quiet, star filled night. We learned what it was we saw from a ranger the following day. She also told us some folks refuse to believe her explanation insisting what they were seeing were UFOs. I must admit we wondered about that possibility as well.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb