Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
April 27th 2009
Published: April 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Needles heading east on I-40, horrible bumpy roads, California's way of saying, "You're leaving now, we got your money, don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out." We were happy to cross the Colorado River into Arizona with its smoother pavement and cheaper gas.

At Flagstaff we headed north a little ways on Hwy 89 to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument. At the visitor center we learned that the San Francisco volcanic field is made up of more than 600 hills and mountains created by volcanic forces. Sunset Crater Volcano is the youngest, last erupting between 1040 and 1100. The lava fields look fresh and the cinder cones are everywhere, mostly black in color, but some are rusty red.

From there the 35 mile loop road goes to Wupatki National Monument, with ruins of pueblos from the 1100's. A fascinating place, Wupatki was a cultural, trading and farming center. At one time thousands of people lived there.

Wow! Two more jewels in our national park system that are worth a visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Nalakihu Nalakihu
Nalakihu

look how lava was used in the walls


28th April 2009

I didn't know they had lava fields out there? Bringing home some black rocks???

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb