A Quiet Weekend in Bakersfield


Advertisement
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday morning we said goodbye to Gena and Bob before heading out ourselves. Hwy 99 is a horrible road, so we elected instead to head east to Porterville and go south on Hwy 65 through farm country. We again enjoyed the orange blossoms and stopped once at a farm store in quest of garlic-stuffed olives. Unfortunately, they were out, but recommended we try Trader Joe's in Bakersfield.

We got to Bakersfield early in the afternoon and headed first to Walmart to drop off my prescriptions and do a little shopping. We then went to Trader Joe's and found our olives, then ate lunch at the local BK steakhouse before heading back to Walmart for my prescrips. We got to Pat and Jim's around 4 and made ourselves at home on their back porch, enjoying the shade and the lovely breeze. Pat got in around 4:30 and Jim wasn't far behind bringing pizza and salads. We sat out back enjoying the pizzas, salads, a few drinks and lots of laughter until it got too cool to stay outside. So we moved our jocularity inside, which was probably a relief to the neighbors, as we do tend to get a bit loud.

Linda came Saturday morning and we visited, laughed some more and warmed up our cackles for later. We went to get Aunt Lolly in the early afternoon, and got a pleased and surprised response from her when she opened her door and found us there. Jim had been telling her all week that we were coming, but she was still delightfully surprised. Back at Pat and Jim's we laughed and carried on some more while waiting for Monica and Jean to arrive, so we could eat dinner. They finally arrived, and after more hugs and jokes, we all sat down to a delicious dinner of pork roast, fresh asparagus, baked potatoes and salad. Monica baked a wonder Italian Creme Cake, proving that she can do more than just drink. Hilarity at dinner must be an aid to digestion, otherwise we would have all popped. We continued our fun until around 8:30, when we took an exhausted Aunt Lolly home to her place. What a fun day! Our faces hurt from all the laughing.

Sunday morning Nancy came by and visited for a while. We had not seen her in way too long. We goofed around until finally heading out around 1:30. Poor Jim was worn out and begging for his nap. It's probably a good thing we didn't stay another night; I don't think Jim could have survived. Thanks again Pat and Jim, Linda, Aunt Lolly, Monica, Jean and Nancy. It was a great weekend (but really not quiet, I was just kidding about that.) Love you all!

We got as far as Needles before stopping for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

morning crewmorning crew
morning crew

Linda, Charlie, Nancy, Kerry, Pat and Jim


27th April 2009

Y'all had so much fun, it's obvious from the smiles!!!!! Looks like the weather was great, too. Sure wish I'd been there. Travel safely home. SAT, May 2....DERBY DAY! Be here?????
28th April 2009

Quiet weekend
Quiet it wasn't - fun it WAS without a doubt! Thanks again for coming out to Bakersfield although the time flys by way too fast!!!Love you and be safe!

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb