Arctic Circle


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 9th 2012
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Going to try to type this again. Tried earlier and lost the internet. Yesterday morning we lost our electricity. A small experimental plane malfunctioned and hit the power lines. Thankfully, the pilot was okay. Ruth, Becky, Carolyn and I went to the Farmer's market. They also had Alaskan made arts and crafts. Nice. Was kind of hard to believe that the tomatoes were $5.00 per pound. Then we went to Michael's(Barbara and Carroll's son) house. He smoked some salmon. Very good. Jim, Charlie, Larry and Jerry went on a trip to the Arctic Circle. They flew from Fairbanks to Coldfoot which is 60 miles inside the Arctic Circle. The flight was 160 miles. The return trip on the bus was 265 miles. The plane was a 10 seater. They had 6 people going. Jim said the pilot flew low so that they could see a lot of interesting things. He was very informative. He showed them the Alaskan Pipeline, the Dalton Highway, the Yukon River, deltas and mountain ranges. I am going to try to attach pictures of their adventure. They didn't get home until 2:30 this morning. It took them 12 hours to travel 265 miles back with 5 stops.
Arcitic CircleArcitic CircleArcitic Circle

66 degrees - 33 mins
Jim says the road they travelled on (The Dalton Highway) is the road you see on Ice Road Truckers on the History Channel. After a very short night (or should I say morning), we went to church at North Pole. Then we went to the Pump House, a very good restaurant for brunch. Yum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Yukon River BridgeYukon River Bridge
Yukon River Bridge

one half mile long with wood floor


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb