north to Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sienna InteriorSienna InteriorSienna Interior

Carol trying out her thermaRest and pillow configuration. Note the ice chest under the shelf.
Entry #2 - for the gearheads following this blog!
The Sienna set-up: this is the third conversion we've done using a shelf arrangement in the cargo area. Simple enough - we sleep on top; the gear goes underneath in plastic storage tubs. It's tight, and necessitates a lot of planning in packing. Having long-distance backpacking experience helps when it comes to paring weight and volume, but I foresee some hard feelings tomorrow evening when it goes to the wire and we both become very involved in loading the van for a Saturday departure.
The sleeping shelf is form-cut to fit the contours of the van cargo space from ¾” plywood, and is covered with carpet. The shelf edges are lined with flat soaker-hose nailed to the shelf. Supports are 1” PVC pipe, mounted to the shelf with end caps screwed into the plywood.
I inserted screen mesh in both back windows and mounted a fan on the passenger side to provide for cooling. The windows can be blocked out with simple sheet insulation purchased at Lowes and cut to fit snugly in the window frames. They are stored under the mattresses during the day,
Sienna InteriorSienna InteriorSienna Interior

The other side...
and pressed into place at night. Carol used a ThermaRest 2” inflatable full-size mattress, I use a ThermaRest self-inflating. We are bringing our usual pillows. A portable potty - which uses 4-gallon plastic garbage bag liners - fits under one side of the forward shelf, and is accompanied by TP, sanitation fluid, and kitty litter. The ice chest fits under the other forward side, and both are secured from sliding forward by bungee cords attached to the shelf supports. Six plastic storage tubs, loaded and unloaded from the rear, serve as our closets and kitchen. I also mounted eight plastic ½ gallon containers on 2 form-cut pieces of plywood and inserted them in the rear quarter panel windows for additional and readily accessible storage space. An additional plastic storage bin will be carried under the front seat consol for odds and ends used while driving.
Photos attached, to be continued…



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Sienna InteriorSienna Interior
Sienna Interior

From the rear...


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb