Thoughts on Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
September 19th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our trip to Alaska in a 21 foot RV was a great experience. We saw wonderful sights and did so much. We were fortunate to have the time to tour most of the state. The flexibility of a small RV was an advantage on narrow, curvy roads and in cities. There wasn’t much space, but it was adequate. If it had been bigger we would just have collected more stuff. Our marriage is still intact. We both had “off days” (who wouldn’t), but we are glad we shared the experience. We enjoyed doing things together.
We were thrilled with the trip. There was nothing we really regretted and not much we would do differently (except maybe pack lighter). We were able to see and do everything that was on our "to do" list.
Alaska is unique. It’s a land of abundance, big and vast, a land of contrasts and extremes; the many, many mountain ranges, highest mountain in North America, glaciers everywhere, unending forests and coastline, huge rivers, lakes, wildflowers, berries, insects, gold, oil, fish, wildlife, uninhabited land, bore tides, sunlight and darkness, snow and cold. The human imprint on the land is dwarfed in comparison to God’s handiwork there.
Residents live in a manner that takes advantage of the plenty. Alaskans love the outdoors in summer. They fish, hunt, hike, boat, bike, camp and drive ATV’s everywhere and as often as possible. They have an independent and self reliant spirit which has been a necessity throughout the state’s history. Life in many parts of Alaska is not easy. It is definitely a different place.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb