Independence Mine, Hatcher Pass, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 2nd 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday August 2, 2007 This morning before we left Wasilla we had the dogs groomed. It was probably the best bargain we’ve found in Alaska! They did a great job and it cost a lot less than what we paid in Richmond.
So after lunch we headed north with our tired, but clean cropped little dogs to the Independence Mine Historical Park located on Hatcher Pass. This area is a big gold mining area and still has active mines. It’s located less than 20 miles from Palmer. Independence Mine is now a state park and they have restored quite a few buildings. The prime production years were 1937 to 1943. Over ten million dollars worth of gold was extracted. None of the mill equipment was salvaged, but the living quarters have been restored. Compared to Kennecott Copper Mill, Independence Mine was a very progressive place to work. The mine manager was known for providing good working conditions (at that time) for employees and their families. They had steam heat, running water, indoor bathrooms and electricity. But it was still back breaking work out in the middle of nowhere.
We took a guided tour of some of the buildings and the talk was about life in the camp. It was a contrast to Kennecott where the tour emphasized the process of retrieving copper from ore.
After our tour we decided to tackle the Hatcher Pass Road - - -another scenic gravel drive. This one was different from the McCarthy Rd. It travels through mountain scenery and has more traffic. It did have pot holes, but not as much washboard so the ride was not quite as slow or as bumpy. Our speed actually got up to 22 mph and the mileage was less. All in all it was a much more interesting and enjoyable drive.
One stop we made on the road was a little art gallery with a great garden. It was getting dark and rain was coming down, but I enjoyed walking through the English garden and taking photos. The artist/owner/gardener was a character (of course) but fun to talk to.





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Independence MineIndependence Mine
Independence Mine

View from the bunkhouse.
Independence Mine Kitchen EquipmentIndependence Mine Kitchen Equipment
Independence Mine Kitchen Equipment

The original mixer from 1941. For my foodservice friends - - I couldn't tell if it's a Hobart.
More Kitchen EquipmentMore Kitchen Equipment
More Kitchen Equipment

For my foodservice friends -- This is a Champion dishwasher. They must have been better in 1941! Parts had to come a LONG way.
Decorated Dog HouseDecorated Dog House
Decorated Dog House

He looks content.
Home Sweet HomeHome Sweet Home
Home Sweet Home

One way to recycle school buses


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb