The Basic Plan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have some basic plans, but places and times may change. Our departure place and time are firm. Wayne (Geoose) and Big Al leave Baraboo, Wisconsin July 14, 2007. Will stop in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota the first night. Need to visit Mom and sister Karen and brother in-law Gary. Karen and Gary are ex-Alaskans and will tell us where some of the good fishing holes are in the Glennallen area. We then will drive thru North Dakota and cross the boarder north of Minot. Then to Moose Jaw, Sk and on to the yellow Head highway 16 to Saskatoon and then Edmonton. Somewhere north of Edmonton we will maybe end up on the Alaskan Highway. May go to Dawson, Yukon and then to Fairbanks. (3,500 miles total)

Several days at Denali are a must, then eithor to Anchorage and the Kenai or we drive the Denali highway to Paxton. We will do lots of sightseeing, geocaching and fishing along the way. Hope to spend some time in the Valdez area. We have an appointment with the the Alaskan Marine highway ferry at Haines on August 6th and then down the intercoastal waterway to Prince Rupert. The Yellowhead east to Jasper and a tour of the great parks in B.C. A lng trip thru Montana South Dakota and Minnesota will put us back in Wisconsin in mid August, we hope. (4,000-4,500 miles)

Will be driving a 1984 Ford F250 diesel (almost new with only 72,000 miles) To get the truck ready for the trip the following was done:
Front brake rotors, pads and calipers, brake master cylinder, new shocks, new exaust and for our comfort, a rebuilt AC compressor. It would have been cheeper to fly, but not as much fun, especially if we break down!

Our home will be a Palomino B1200 slide in pop up camper. Creecher comforts are a 3way refrigerator (holds 2 six packs and not much more) 3 burner propane cooking stove (may get used), propane furnace (hope we don't need it) 6ft 3 inch standing room (I'm 6ft 2)and room to sleep 2 people.

Navigation and communication will be done using a Lawrance H2Oc GPS, Gateway laptop with mapping software Cobra CB radio and US Cellular phone.

Just a quick note on Geocaching. We hope to find enough booty along the way using the GPS to pay for the trip. No way! Check out this link if you want to know what Geocaching is all about.

Will try to update the blog once we get going, have taken some photos and have something interesting to say.





Advertisement



4th July 2007

Enjoy
I'm looking forward the blogs as the trip unfolds. Hope you catch the big one or is it cache the big one??
4th July 2007

AK trip
We'll look forward to seeing you on the 14th. You can have real beds that night if you want! Don't forget the bug spray and lots of dollars for the tank!
5th July 2007

Buena Suerte
You might be able to figure out what I'm wishing you. I think your trip will be good practice for the Drive I want to take to Costa Rica. I may need a couple of experience road warriors. If I don't find a bus - the old pickup might be a good option. TG
9th July 2007

July 9, 2007
You'll have a great trip, maybe the best sites you'll see are during your trip thru ND! Oh, I forget, there aren't mountains there! I look forward to some interesting blogs.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb