St.Mary's to Many Glacier


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 23rd 2007
Published: June 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got up early Saturday and started on the “Going to the Sun Road” by 6:45 am. This famous scenic road is narrow and curvy and there are vehicle size restrictions. CT at 21 feet long just made it. We enjoyed the gorgeous mountain views around the St. Mary’s Lake. There was no traffic so we could make all the geological stops Frank wanted. We did the 13 miles that were open with no problem. Actually, we’ve driven roads in North Carolina that were worse! We were told that the road gets worse beyond the current stop.
We also hiked to St. Mary’s and Virginia Falls which were on the route. The hike was through a fragrant spruce forest with streams and meadows with singing birds. The falls were overflowing from snow melt and were very pretty. It was a great deal - - three falls in three miles!
We left St Mary’s in the afternoon and headed north to the Many Glacier part of the Park. The campground was more full which was to be expected for a Saturday. After we found a camp site, it was laundry time!
Sunday morning we took a hike to Red Rock Lake and Falls. On the way back Frank made a detour and went to a lake where he had a good view of a bull moose and cow. Haven’t seen any bear yet. We decided to stay one more night before moving on to Waterton Park in Canada.
In the evening we went back to the lake where Frank had seen the moose. Sure enough a cow moose was feeding in the lake. As we stood on the shore talking to some people I heard a rustle behind us. About 25 ft away a bull moose was making his way to the lake. We backed up fast! Frank got a good picture. We were surprised at how quiet he was. He really sneaked up on us.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th June 2007

dressed right
Gosh Frank, you and Debbie look really outfitted for the great western outdoors there. The pictures are incredible... can't wait to see the rest.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb