WE'RE OFF


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday June 14th the Cozy Turtle hit the road bound for Alaska. We left at 7:15 am. The second time we left at 7:45 am. We hadn’t gone far before we found we had forgotten our favorite CD’s! So back we went to retrieve our music.
When we left home it was cool and cloudy with off and on rain.(sort of like Alaska, I think). Our route took us west. The rolling hills of the Virginia piedmont turned into the foothills of the Shenandoah Mountains. We drove on through the Shenandoah Valley toward the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia.
I noticed the landscape passing our window was basically in two tones - greens and grays. A steel gray sky; a light gray highway; mountains that were dark gray shrouded in an almost white mist; gray barns with silver roofs. Yellow green fields, blue green crops, bright green trees and dark green trees; gray green streams. Once in a while White Queen Anne’s Lace, orange day lilies and black Angus cattle offered patches of color. The day was gray, but the land looked fresh and lush; the drying effects of the hot summer days still to come. Though it rained off and on, the scenery was lovely.
By the time we reached the rugged mountains of Charleston W VA in the afternoon, the sun was out. We followed the Kanawha River through Northwest W VA. A surprise there; that part of W VA has rolling hills with flat farmland. Ohio is all farmland and besides a few rolling hills is very flat. We passed Bob Evans Farms!
We stopped for the night about 50 miles from Dayton Ohio. So today we traveled through Virginia, West Virginia and into Ohio for a total of 482 miles. The roads were pretty good; mostly interstate. Traffic wasn’t too bad except for some in Charleston (which I drove and got a little uptight!)
No photos to share yet. At this point we are just driving through.
It feels good to be on the way after so much planning. The Lord has blessed us!








Advertisement



15th June 2007

Dayton
Hope you went to the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Largest collection of aircraft on display in the world I think. And the Wright brothers bicycle shop and aviation museum downtown. Get Frank back to his aviation roots.
17th June 2007

I am glad that the beginning of your trip has gone well. if you made it to ohio on the first day, you must be almost to alaska by now. just kidding!! Hope that everyone is abiding by "the rules" without any difficulty. Richmond has continued to have cool weather the last few days, but today it will be in the 90's. Hope you are having cooler weather. let me know if you need me to do anything. Best wishes, Betsy
23rd June 2007

Praying for a safe and wonderful trip for you
I see you got off to a good start and am glad you remembered the CD's close to home. I will be watching to see your progress. Deb please keep Frank in line. Best of everything for you Bill
25th June 2007

Hope you're having fun!
Just checking back for an update! I hope you are having a blast! I am sure it is marvelous seeing God's creation and getting a glimpse of just how awesome He is!
26th June 2007

such prose
Debbie, I have forgotten what a wonderful wirter you are. I could see every color so vividly. Thanks for sharing and I wish you a safe trip. Ken

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb