Canoeing in the Nancy Lake Area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Willow
June 7th 2010
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ted and Ryan Singing 21 secs
In early June I had the opportunity to do a several day canoe trip with a few guys from an adventure group that I am a part of. No worries, it is nothing like last years death trek, in fact this trip was quit relaxing. We set in at Tanaina Lake right off of the Nancy Lake Parkway about an hour north of Wasilla. We backpacked in with our gear and canoes and set off. As for wild life we saw plenty of loons, eagles and of course the state birds were out (misquotes).

Mark, Ted and Ryan were great canoeing buddies. It was very peaceful venturing out with people I had never met before. In a sense it was as peaceful as going alone. There were no distractions of outside responsibilities and dwelling on past experiences that took away from the immediate reality. At the same time I was on this journey with people who valued the same peace and stillness of our surroundings.

During the first day we crossed 7 lakes, portaging our gear and canoes over hilly roots and mud. Though the treks were sometimes long and steep, we lounged on the lakes in the sun and took our time. There was a rewarding balance between these two extremes. It was interesting to find that all of the portages were marked for only .01 mile. There were obviously several portages that were at least half a mile and a few others that were a quarter, some weren’t even a tenth of a mile. It was quite bizarre. We scoped out some of public use cabins while we stopped for lunch; these peacefully isolated in different parts of the lake.

After we found our campsite we made a fire and all hung out and talked about other adventures we had been on or planed to do. Mark and Ted had been doing this together for years and had some great stories. As it got late the guys went to bed as i stayed up to watch the fire die. The sun out shown the coals at midnight while the loons made their unbirdly noises and and one of the tens snored, dew began to accumulate on the topsy turvy canoes while the coals would relapse into flames. In the distance i could hear the thunder heavy clouds grumble. I would rain tonight. The rain was renewing and cleared the way for a fresh new day.

It felt really incredible to leave my cell phone behind. No one could bother me and it was almost as though time stood still. We ran into very few canoers, most of which were fishing.

Over all we went through 13 lakes and two winding marshes. No difficult passages, no fuel spills. It was beautiful.

By the end of the trip I was not ready to leave. I stayed behind and relaxed in the sun for a few hours before heading back. It was an incredibly relaxing weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

TanainaTanaina
Tanaina

Lake #1
My Canoe PartnerMy Canoe Partner
My Canoe Partner

Ryan the art teacher
Linx LakeLinx Lake
Linx Lake

Lake #7


29th June 2010

WOW
Bekah . . . it is soooo beautiful! Breath taking. Your picture taking is truly gifted, and you are so pretty. What an amazing person you are . . . and brave! I love you. Mom
29th June 2010

glassy waters
a must not missed alaskan-world adventure is lake aleknagik just outside of dillingham i can see you paddle all 7 lakes so, i didnt notice beer in your breal pix.
29th June 2010

hello
Becca, I'm sitting here in an unair-condtioned office (temperature now at 95 degrees) and envy your last trip. I always really enjoy reading your blog postings. thanks for sending them to me! I hope all is well. Dr. S.
30th June 2010

woohhooo0
I'm almost there!!!!!!!!!!
1st July 2010

sharing your blog
Hello Bekah, I hope you don't mind, but I am sharing your blog with 2 friends of mine who are advid cannores here in Tennessee. And I hope you are sharing the blog with Mr. Trevathan. I just saw him in the office; he's printed out his latest manuscript on cannoing in the bounary waters and is bringing it over to UT Press today. You need to write up some of your experiences and submit them to travel magazines, etc. Dr. S.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb