TOK TO VALDEZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
July 18th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 18, 2011 TOK TO VALDEZ
Today was the second longest travel day since we left home – 414 Km. Clouds hung low over the mountains so we were unable to see the panoramic views of the peaks in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park. At times we passed through heavy rain and again the road had some very rough spots. We picked up three pretty good sized rock chips in the windshield on this road today. We had a very good view of the Worthington Glacier because the highway passed very close to it on our descent into Valdez. The harbor at Valdez is the only harbor in Alaska that does not freeze over in the winter. It is for that reason the Alaskan pipeline ended in Valdez. National attention was focused on Valdez and the Alaska pipeline when the oil tanker “Exxon Valdez” ran aground in March 1989, causing 11 million gallons of oil to spill on Bligh reef. Valdez and the broad bay to its front were untouched by the spill. Our campground for three nights is right on the small boat harbor with only a short walk to the center of town. On the opposite side of the larger harbor is the pipeline terminal, which we may see tomorrow if the clouds lift. Hopefully the weather will clear, as we are scheduled for a glacier cruise on Wednesday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th July 2011

Tok
We stayed at Tok two nights. One going and one coming back. Also started to drive into Valdez but a rain storm came in and after travelling about 60km in, we turned around because we new we would see nothing. Got a submit comment button tonight so was able to send this. I love seeing your pictures!! We had to get a new windshield when we got back plus have hood damage repaired. Oh, and we ate at Fast Eddys every chance we could get just because of that salad bar!! Good food! I get excited every time I see that there is an entry on my email from you! Keep up the good work. Lois..

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb