Beautiful mountains ,ice ,and wildflowers


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Valdez
June 30th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alaska truly is a beautiful place . The driving has been surprisingly easy although it is slow . The permafrost makes for some waviness in the roadbed and the RV rattles as we roll along. About that , we booked a 22ft Class C without a generator and were upgraded to a 24ft with a generator ... which we have not had reason to use so far. It has 3 beds and the roomette at the back is mine . Although it is the coolest it suits me fine. We are really enjoying this way of travelling. Stopping for lunch or even to sleep has been so easy . 2 nights ago we pulled into a State campground with 12 sites and were there with only the Ranger. It is good to stop when we are tired of driving or the weather . I have taught my companions how to play 9-5-2 .
The weather has been all over the map. In Denali it snowed the first day . We spent 11hours on a school bus riding through the park and didn't see as many animals as hoped , but we did see a mother bear nursing her cub , several moose with amazing racks of antlers and a herd of Caribou .. It was a good day .
Day 2 it was summer and we headed out for a hike and were fortunate to see MtMcKinley in all her splender . It really is an amazing site even from 75 miles away. I was Awed ! Imagine a baked Alaska ...the kind mom usd to make and you have an idea .
Since then we have been travelling through the mountains , there are 3 ranges , and enjoying the lookouts at glaciers and highest peaks . What we are seeing are more impressive than the Rockies because they are spread out more with plains to set them off. It is beautiful.
We spent a day at the North Pole and last night connected with the Gaudreau/Maurice clan here . Good visits both evenings. We are starting to wind down but hope to write more later.
I have 739 photos to date but it is too difficult to post...so sorry.

Hope all is well.

Advertisement



30th June 2009

Home again, home again...
Clickety clack. Well, not much time left in you latest adventure. Enjoy your last few days. You will have tons of stories for us. Travel safely. See you soon.

Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb