Back Tracking


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
August 19th 2015
Published: August 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We did a little back tracking this week. On Saturday we traveled back to Tok. It had been our first stop in Alaska back in July. This was a 208 mile drive and a one night stay. The trip to Destruction Bay certainly exceeded our expectations. We had driven that stretch of road in July, and considered it most likely the worse road we had been on. If you remember my post from July 24th, you will remember the mud-coated car and motorhome. This drive was dry, so there was plenty of dust. It was, however, in worse condition ... it took us over 1 1/2 hours to drive 30 miles on one long stretch of constant bumps. It is a wonder we got through this without falling apart! No way do we ever want to repeat that drive. (All of the other members of our group felt the same). This took us to Destruction Bay (224 miles) for another one night stay back in the Yukon Territory.

We left there on Monday and headed back to the Alaska border and down to Haines. We will be here until Friday. Our scheduled trip on the Fjord Express to Juneau was cancelled due to high winds and rain yesterday. We were disappointed to miss this since it was our only chance of seeing Juneau as well as the only way to get there. Juneau is reachable only by air or water, no roads leading into the capital of Alaska! The day cleared and we did our touring of Haines on yesterday. That means we have very little to do today since Haines is not a very big town. We can't spend the day inside, so we will be out doing something. Tomorrow we take a ferry to Skagway for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb