Days 20-22 7-12-7-14-10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Tok
August 7th 2010
Published: August 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We have driven extra miles the past two days. Guess we are anxious to get to Alaska as we will arrive a day earlier than planned! Tok, Alaska here we come. The last 128 miles the road from Canada was worst than a road in a third world country. The dips and numerous potholes were unavoidable so we felt as if we were on a roller coaster. Our wildlife sightings for the day were a bald eagle and a mountain lion. We had an uneventful crossing into the United States. Leta was relieved and glad to be back in the states. We checked in at the Sourdough Campground for the next three days. Jack made chili for supper.
Our second day we did laundry, worked on the RV, and did some grocery shopping. Jack and Leta tried to win a free buffet breakfast, but they were unable to toss their two sourdough pancakes into the "buckit." We all watched an excellent DVD called Wyatt Earp. It was still light outside, even though we walked home at midnight!
Today we went To Chicken, Alaska to see an old gold mining operation. Ptarmigan is the official name of the wild chicken. We received free rubber chicken keychains. Jack purchased a ptarmigan shirt and a retired license plate. At the camground that night we listened to some bluegrass and gospel music by The Seiglers, an Alaskan Northwind Group. We all tried our hands at the pancake toss again. Shelby won, but he did not enjoy the buffet the next day. For him, the sourdough pancakes were not appealing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

PICT2212PICT2212
PICT2212

Welcome to Chicken, Ak.
PICT2230PICT2230
PICT2230

Fresh moose print in ;mud on side of road.
PICT2231PICT2231
PICT2231

Same moose print, and my boot.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb