Mt McKinley Lodge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Talkeetna
June 2nd 2017
Published: June 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Weds

The alarm went off at 5.30am (arghhh!!) and we grabbed a cake/coffee before leaving the ship and jumping on an Alaskan train. The Rocky Mountaineer it wasn't, but the views were diverting enough to see the five hours journey speed by. We got off in Talkeetna, that gives two horse towns a bad name!! The TV series North Exposure was based on Talkeetna, so we did the full-on camera bit, fitting in a crepe at a hippie coffee house!!

Then on to our 'Wilderness Lodge", with its magnificent views of Mt Denali. It has rained here for four weeks solid, but we arrived to find clear blue skies!!

Thurs

Blue skies and today the temperature was touching 80F!! We started with a breakfast that we couldn't finish - and so did a couple of trail walks to burn off some calories. In the afternoon we went on an escorted nature walk around the 'lodge'. So far, no sight of the moose and bears that share the lodge with the humans!! Instructions on what to do if you encounter a bear are well ingrained.

See photos of Mt. Denali, view from bedroom (thro' fly-net) and Kate's breakfast!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb