Back to Anchorage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Talkeetna
July 17th 2010
Published: August 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We finished the last of the puzzle before we had breakfast at the lodge. It was rainy and overcast again. Last night it was chilly enough to see our breath, but it wasn't that bad this morning. We got on the road again. Even though we were out on a remote highway, it didn't feel so remote because there were houses and businesses fairly close together along the road. Maybe there was nothing in back of them for 100 miles, but it still didn't feel remote. Also, we didn't see any moose or bears AGAIN! We took a short detour to Talkeetna for lunch. We remembered the roadhouse there. When we were there before, there was one serving for lunch and one for dinner. Everyone sat at one long table and you ate whatever the cook decided to make that day. There are too many people now, so they operate like a regular restaurant now. We had pasties. Yum. (Sorry, Barbra, you didn't tell us about Charlotte in time!) We enjoyed the shops in town since the sun had come out and it was a lovely day. Outside of Talkeetna, we stopped to see a sled-dog team. It was too "hot" to take the dogs on a run, but we talked to the musher for awhile and everyone got to see the dogs tied up in the woods next to their doghouses. Next we met Mary in Wasilla at her favorite bookstore. She brought Daisy to give back to us. Rowan was thrilled to see her! He asked several times today whether we were going to pick up Daisy today. Rich caught a huge salmon right in the parking lot of the bookstore!
Back in Anchorage, we ordered pizza for dinner, and Seth and Vivian got packed up for their flight home. Too short a visit! They probably went home from their vacation to rest. After dinner, Rich entertained us all with his reading of Robert Service poems, especially "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee". Everyone enjoyed it. He had origianlly planned to read at the rustic cabins, but there just wasn't time! Around 11:30, we had to take Seth, Vivian, and Rowan to the airport. Boo Hoo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th August 2010

thanks
Nancy and Rich, Thanks for letting me come along on your trip--I've really enjoyed my "arm chair" travel to Alaska. What fun. Safe travels home. Mary

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb