Talkeetna River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Talkeetna
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

August 7, 2008
Rafting ride on the Talkeetna River in Alaska. Talkeetna. a small tourist/artist town that is just southeast of the Denali National Forest and is a starting point for many of the mountain climbers that dare to scale the peaks. I arrived in Talkeetna after two nights in Anchorage. I stayed at a lovely hostel in town and found my way wandering through town where I spotted a sign for a rafting ride. Who can say no? Had a wonderful Bear Tooth Ale while waiting for the trip and then we gathered together and traveled in a van to our launch site. It was a very beautiful evening. We didn't see much wildlife, but a bald eagle, beaver, and salmon. Apparently we missed a baby bear by about 20 minutes. (Which would probably mean that mama is close by!) Speaking of which, a woman got attacked by a mama bear in Anchorage yesterday. They are now on the search to find and kill that bear. Bears usually shy away from people and if you make a lot of noise will go the other way. Apparently this one likes to stalk humans (she has done this before.) Luckily the woman survived and will recover.

Back to Talkeetna...
Met some wonderful people from around the world at the hostel and shared my lovely gift from Sue and Casey (18 year old scotch!) with them as we feasted on freshly caught salmon by this man from South Africa. We then sat around talking until late. Of course it was 11pm and still light out! The next morning two of the women from the hostel were planning to hitch back to Palmer, so I gave them a ride back since I was heading that way. Where, on the way, Mt. McKinley decided to poke her peak out!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Talkeetna River 3Talkeetna River 3
Talkeetna River 3

Before the ride!
Talkeetna River 6Talkeetna River 6
Talkeetna River 6

Bald Eagle nest.
Talkeetna River 8Talkeetna River 8
Talkeetna River 8

Bald Eagle perched.
Talkeetna River 10Talkeetna River 10
Talkeetna River 10

Bear cub paw prints.
Talkeetna River 11Talkeetna River 11
Talkeetna River 11

Sand bar island in the river.
Talkeetna River 12Talkeetna River 12
Talkeetna River 12

Taking a break!
Talkeetna River 13Talkeetna River 13
Talkeetna River 13

Under the bridge.
Talkeetna River 14Talkeetna River 14
Talkeetna River 14

Protection from the flooding. These poles block debris from entering the village.
Talkeetna River 15Talkeetna River 15
Talkeetna River 15

After the ride!
Talkeetna River 16Talkeetna River 16
Talkeetna River 16

The Denali Range. Mt. Mckinley is on the far right covered by the clouds.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb