Day 24 - Back at sea for the day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
July 26th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

What I did forget to mention was that yesterday we did sign up for a day long boat trip...

... leaving at 11 we sailed out and were knowledgably informed of the history of Seward and Resurection bay by the park ranger on board. How forts and islands were protected during the 2nd World War (at the start of the war Japan occupied some of Alaska and there was no road system - Seward's ice-free port and railway terminus made it strategically very important) and how glaciers dominated the look of today's landscape.

We were heading out to Holgate Glacier, which ends where the sea meets it. After making our way carefully through the large chunks of ice in the water we were able to stop, watch and listen to the glacier moving and calving. It towered over us with much dominance.

Making our way to the Chiswell Islands to see the wildlife. We had a very special encounter with 2 huge hump back whales who surrounded our boat, using it to collect the fish. Incrediably close. We also saw Puffins, Pyster Catchers, Bald Eagles, Sea Lions but what Ed and I both enjoyed the most was standing at the bow of the boat, watching 3 Dall Porposis playing around chasing us. 'AWESOME'. Video footage available on demand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb