Seward


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Seward
July 13th 2006
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SewardSewardSeward

This is the newer section down near the docks.
Seward is a fishing village located in the northwest corner of Resurrection Bay, an arm of the Pacific Ocean. It was established in 1793 by the Russians as a shipbuilding site, but came into its own as a port after Alaska was purchased by the US government (Remember "Seward's Folly" from high school?). When gold was found in northern Alaska, since shipping access to the mining areas on the Bering Sea coast were shut down by ice from October to June, a winter overland supply route became essential. This was accomplished by a 938 mile dogsled route from Seward to Nome, carrying supplies into the mining camps and returning with gold. This route became known as the Iditarod Trail, and is the basic route followed by the famous Iditarod dogsled race, although the route has been extended to around 1,000 miles and now begins in Anchorage.
Because Resurrection Bay is an ice-free harbor with spectacular mountains dropping right into the sea, Seward has become a top tourist destination and popular cruise ship stop, as well as one of the top commercial and sports fishing centers in Alaska.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Bikepath Along Resurrection BayBikepath Along Resurrection Bay
Bikepath Along Resurrection Bay

That's the Seward docks in the background.
Our SiteOur Site
Our Site

The waterfront sites did not have water and electrical hookups, so we opted for the next row. Still a pretty nice view.
Mush!Mush!
Mush!

Anybody wanna take a little ride on a sled?
Tough Going for Small BoatsTough Going for Small Boats
Tough Going for Small Boats

It gets pretty rough in the bay, and that water's not real warm.
Heavy-Duty MotorhomeHeavy-Duty Motorhome
Heavy-Duty Motorhome

You see some strange rigs up here.
Exit GlacierExit Glacier
Exit Glacier

At the foor of the glacier with our friends, Bill and Helen.


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb