Homer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
July 29th 2006
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Homer is another of those beautiful coastal towns surrounded by glaciers and rugged mountains cliffs dropping into the sea. It lies on the southwest corner of the Kenai Peninsula at the mouth of Kachemak Bay. Its most prominent geographical feature is the Homer Spit, a stretch of sand, barely ¼ mile wide, that extends 5 miles out into the water, separating Kachemak Bay from Cook Inlet. “The Spit” is where all the action is. It is lined with restaurants, bars, RV campgrounds, fishing and tour boat charters, float plane charters and, of course, the inevitable souvenir shops, where you can get yourself a “Spit Happens” t-shirt.
We stayed 5 days at a relatively quiet campground right on the beach near the northwest end of the Spit. From here we could reach everything by bicycle - the downtown area back on the mainland, the action out on the spit, and a neat little lake where all the float planes were based. We were visited by bald eagles on the beach every day, and we had a nice view of the active St. Augustine Volcano in Cook Inlet.
At our campground we met 3 other couples that we really enjoyed. Each day we would all go out and do our thing -- fishing, cruise, museum, sightseeing or whatever. In the evening we would have happy hour around a fire on the beach, and talk about the adventures of the day. Not bad duty at all.
While the area near the end of the Spit is the most commercialized place we have seen up here, Homer is probably also the most naturally beautiful. There is a residential street on a high hill behind the downtown area that provides a great view of the town, Cook Inlet, the Spit, and the mountains and glaciers across Kachemak Bay. We think this is the most impressive panoramic view we’ve seen on the trip. This is really quite a place.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Our Campground at Low TideOur Campground at Low Tide
Our Campground at Low Tide

Cook Inlet has some very big tides -- as much as 30 feet or more.
Cleaning FishCleaning Fish
Cleaning Fish

This is serious business.
Ferry Rounding the Tip of the SpitFerry Rounding the Tip of the Spit
Ferry Rounding the Tip of the Spit

Homer is one of the stops on the Alaska Marine Highway, which runs over 8,000 miles from Bellingham, WA to the Aleutian Islands.
Early Morning on the SpitEarly Morning on the Spit
Early Morning on the Spit

This shot was taken from our campsite.
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

One of several across the Kachemak Bay from Homer.
St. Augustine VolcanoSt. Augustine Volcano
St. Augustine Volcano

The volcano is in Cook Inlet about 60 miles from Homer.
Early Morning Shot of the VolcanoEarly Morning Shot of the Volcano
Early Morning Shot of the Volcano

Taken from our campsite.
Polo, Anyone?Polo, Anyone?
Polo, Anyone?

These guys wandered through our "back yard". I think they were lost.
Happy CampersHappy Campers
Happy Campers

The Homer airport and the Spit are in the background. The lake to our left is a very busy seaplane base.
The Homer Farmers MarketThe Homer Farmers Market
The Homer Farmers Market

This was really more a craft fair than a farmers market. Pretty neat.


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 22; qc: 92; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb