Alaska, Canada and NYC. Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Prudhoe Bay
May 31st 2014
Published: June 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Wake up in Deadhorse and pack bags for departure. Breakfast in the kitchen and meant to leave at 0800. Slight delay with iced up van so leave at 0840 - temp 29 F....

Pack into the van for the trip south on the Dalton highway. Regular stops for viewing wildlife - Alaskan snow geese, ptarmigan (national bird of Alaska - looks like a chicken - Snow White in winter but changes colour in summer to brown - we saw both versions), caribou, musk ox and other birds.

We followed the trans Alaskan pipe line (way too much pipe line - 800 miles). Finally stopped for lunch at an old construction camp site. Snow capped mountains all around.

Again the stories that Pat and driver Mike could tell us were fantastic real life stories of what they had actually done in the areas we drove through. Izzy (Mike's granddaughter was also great to have along for her young (12) enthusiasm and energy). The other 2 ladies were from Newcastle and had just done our next cruise/tour in reverse so we found out lots from them as well.

Along the way we need to go through the Antigun pass (to cross the Continental Divide). Get there and 3 trucks stopped -avalanche...... Look up and can see the grader and front end loader trying to clear the road. Finally after about 30 mins we get the message there is a clearing. Northbound traffic first then us (southbound). Get up to the avalanche area and drive through the clearing. Snow at least 6 to 7 foot high and all around us. Mike isn't too fazed by this even though the snow is bloody deep and obviously a bit unstable. Lucky he knows what he is doing I guess.

Finally make our next stop which is Coldfoot (Including several outhouse stops -read long drops).

Coldfoot camp is used in the Ice Trucker shows and is a real outback site. Lots of trucks in the car park, eating sleeping etc.

Hotel rooms at least had a shower and toilet in the rooms (only just and again twin single beds with a distinct odour about it). Off to dinner at the bar/diner. Men with scraggly beards (but no banjos - just)......

Food and a few beers and then decided to walk to the visitor centre - just as it started raining. Never mind. Visitor centre worth a visit and luckily for us our driver came to the rescue and picked us up for the return trip.

Sleep time - up early tomorrow for our 0730 tour of Wiseman.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb