The Butte


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Palmer
July 2nd 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had heard from some locals that a favorite quick hike was called The Butte. It is this little piece of land that sticks up out of the earth in the middle of the valley in Palmer with a total elevation of 875 feet, which sounds similar to a rolling hill in Pennsyltucky.

The climb was steep, but we had already gotten some practice climbing other steep mountains, so by this time we were pros.

The reward for climbing The Butte is a terrific 360 degree view of the Talkeetna Mountains, the Chugach Range, Knik Glacier, the Matunuska River and Mount Susitna. It was a beautiful partly cloudy day, but when we climbed to the top of the mountain there was sunlight shining through the clouds onto the glacier, and it was so beautiful!

We also decided to take a drive through the countryside before our hike. Our mission was to try to get as close to the Knik Glacier as possible. We cruised on some back roads where we were the only car on the road at times. Eventually we crossed the path of a mother moose and her three babies munching on some leaves just off the side of the road. It was our first real glimpse of nature and wildlife at it's best and we were only a car's length away from it!

We came to the end of the road and got as close to the glacier as we could. As you can see in the pictures, we had some stunning views of the glacier and surrounding mountains. There is nothing better than driving through the wilderness of Alaska, stumbling upon a moose and her babies, and ending up with a view that photos can't even come close to the actual feeling of being right there. We were in nature's heaven today!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb