The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show . . .


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Ketchikan
May 30th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In Ketchikan, right near where the ship docks, is the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. I’d read before that it is totally kitchy and tourist-tacky but great fun. Add in the fact that we could get treated with crew passes and my friends and I were sold. We’ve been packing our days with tours up until this point - in fact today I’d thought I was going to go on another tour but I didn’t get space at the last minute - so today we decided to go see the show.

And it was goofy and it was kitchy and it was tourist-tacky but wow was it a fun show!

Four guys competed in teams of two in various lumberjack events. One represented Team Canada (Dawson Creek) and one Team USA (Spruce Mills) and the audience was divided to cheer for one team or the other. Thankfully we happened to sit in the Dawson Creek section!

The different events were everything from log rolling, chopping, chainsaw cutting races and pole climbing. Every time a team would win, they’d give a piece of wood to someone in the audience from their side (to keep score). The guys who were in the show - and the girl who was hosting - were really energetic and funny.

We had a great time. And afterwards we got to get our photo taken with the lovely lumberjacks.

Then we decided to go out for lunch. We headed back to the restaurant that Emina, Nelly and I had discovered a couple weeks ago, Annabelle’s. Oh the food there is so good.

A great start to the day - thankfully, cause then it was time to head back to the ship for a full day and night of work! Alaska is incredible, but this itinerary is wearing me out . . .


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb