Train Ride to the White Pass Summit . . .


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
May 28th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Probably the most highly recommended excursion to do in Skagway is taking the train up the White Pass. The White Pass is a famous passage that people took during the gold rush - up over the mountains in Alaska and into Canada headed for the Yukon. During the gold rush, thousands of people passed through it by foot or with their animals. It was an extreme trek until the Klondike Highway and the White Pass Railroad was built - by which the time the rush was pretty much over.

For weeks we’d heard rumors that there would be a crew tour offered to go on the train, yet time kept on passing and nothing happened. Finally, this was our week! Tickets went on sale for a limited number of crew members to go - and of course I scooped one up.

Jenny, Emina and I were on the tour together. Thankfully we got a bit of a sleep in before we had to meet the tour because Skagway is our one port that runs late. The train had one car just for crew members which was extra fun.

The trip up took about an hour and a half. And was it ever beautiful! We gradually snaked our way up around the mountains. Around every corner was a stunning view of the snow capped mountain tops (I’m glad we’re doing the tour now while there’s still some snow!) and we passed so many waterfalls I couldn’t possibly have counted them all. It was breathtaking.

We also passed through a couple of tunnels that left us in total blackness for a few seconds. One of them was nicknamed “opportunity tunnel” - as you can imagine lots of jokes happened then.

One of my favourite spots was called Inspiration Point. There was a small sign with the name just sitting on the edge of the mountainside with a beautiful view beyond it.

Our journey up ended just past the Canadian boarder. The railway continues through the very North-Western corner of British Columbia and into the Yukon. I really wanted to do one of the tours that went all the way to the end of the rail, but you have to have your passport to do that tour and the ship holds all crew members’ passports. I tried everything to make it happen but failed . . . so Jenny and I just took lots of photos with BC in the background while we sat at the boarder.

Then it was time to head back. A lot of crew members seemed to have lost interest for the return trip - in fairness we were travelling the same route. But it’s still so beautiful, I couldn’t get enough. The good part of this meant that the outside landing between the cars (which we were allowed to go out on) were pretty much empty. People were scrambling to be out there on the way up and so you had to take turns, but for the return trip, Jenny, Emina and I stood out there the whole time.

It was such a beautiful day trip and it put us in such good spirits. Especially considering after the tour we had a few more hours to ourselves before we had to go back to work! So the three of us girls went to one of the fish house restaurants near the pier for some fresh beer-battered halibut and fries. And it was a really great meal! I enjoyed a pint of the Alaskan Brewing company’s amber ale - I’m not a beer drinker but I can’t get enough of this one. Then we wandered around Skagway a bit, popping in and out of shops and exploring the little side streets.

I’m glad to have been able to do this tour before I head home. Just a couple more cruises to pack everything in!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 37; qc: 140; dbt: 0.2225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb