Kenai Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Kenai
July 29th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Had kind of a slow day today. We had light rain this morning and around 60. We went to church this morning and then out for breakfast. It took us almost 2 hrs. to get our food. Friday, on our way here, Jim turned on the air-conditioning and the blower wouldn't work. Jim thought maybe it was a fuse. He has been trying to find the problem since we got here. Yesterday, one of the men (Dan) who is involved with the Work Camp that I mentioned yesterday, came by to invite us to the dinner last night. Jim mentioned his problem. It just so happened that Dan used to have a heating/air-conditioning business in Michigan. He came by today and he and Jim finally found the problem. It was a four prong connector that had pulled off in the wiring. When Jim asked him what he owed him, he said "nothing, I am sure you have helped someone else in the past". There are good people everywhere. Dan told us a little about the Workamp group. He said that it is on-line and they really like to have couples. His wife is retired from the Post Office. He said that you send in your resume, and if they have an opening, they contact you. His wife works in the office here helping with registrations. He says they post the jobs needed to be done each day in the office. He says they wanted to come to Alaska and this was a great opportunity. They may go to Texas after this but he has been offered a job in Fairbanks. I asked him about the fishermen catching the salmon with the dip nets. He said that there was a man here last week who got 95 salmon in 2 hrs. I asked about the limit. He said that if you live in Alaska and have a family you can get more. Jim said they call it "substanance". The fisherman can get 35 for himself and 35 for each member of his family. Dan said the man was up until 2 in the morning cleaning the fish(I'm sure he had help). I'm glad I wasn't involved in that! Tonight they said on TV that this July was the second coldest in Alaska history. I guess it is better than being in hot Illinois! One other fact that I keep forgetting to mention - they don't have snakes in Alaska!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb