An Alaskan View on Politics


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
August 29th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

McCain and PalinMcCain and PalinMcCain and Palin

The pic says it all.
Alaskans aren’t the only ones who woke up today to shocking political news. Senator Palin (pronounced “Pay-lin”) of Alaska was elected as a running mate by McCain for the upcoming presidential election. Generally Alaskan news doesn’t travel out of the state. I often feel like our issues and decisions are a world away from the rest of the United States. I’m always surprised when I meet people who don’t know where Alaska is—or that it’s even part of the United States.

But today, Alaska is being noticed. Or more aptly, our governor. In Alaska, Palin’s election in 2006 was a much talked about event. Her conservative stance on abortion and support of pipeline development has made her popular in republican circles. In general, her life supports the “Alaskan Mentality” of individualism and community.

Mother of five, husband to an Alaskan Native, member of the NRA, hunter, fisherwoman, Palin is respected by most Alaskans for her accomplishments both within and without the political arena. Her poise, beauty, and strong sense of integrity has gained the trust of her peers and local Alaskans. McCain says that he selected Palin for her independence, an independence that often challenges other Republicans on conflicting
Vivatious PalinVivatious PalinVivatious Palin

Has the aura of new generation change.
issues. Though I generally support conservative ideals (pro-life, lower taxes, private health care, conservation versus preservation, etc), I WANT to support a politician who believes in these issues because they make sense, not because of a hard-headed inability to see the other side.

For one, I am thrilled at McCain’s choice. Critics complain that Palin has had little administrative experience, but the past few years have shown her ability to be a leader for Alaska, ousting Tony Knowles and Merkowski in the 2006 election. Palin, a pro-life conservative (although not overtly so), holds to ideals that I too support.

I wonder how this will affect the drilling issue in Alaska. Hopefully having a pro-drilling vice president will further Alaska’s economy, keeping us from depending on the short tourism season and the federal government for financial stability. McCain supports offshore drilling, but not drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Palin, a staunch supporter of Alaska’s economy and natural environment, hopes to open this area for financial and conservation principles.

Palin is a chess move. Looking at the election from a social science point of view, Obama is young, cool and hip. McCain is somewhat dull in the
PalinPalinPalin

Palin in Juneau
public’s eyes, having already tried for president in the previous election. He is white, old, and a man. Palin offsets all of these factors. Not only does Palin present women in Politics, she is fresh and vivacious without being overbearing and shrill (like Hilary often appeared). Palin is a woman who speaks from experience, her stance on issues is rooted in decisions based on a life well lived.

"I believe everything happens for a purpose. In my own personal life, if I dedicated back to my Creator what I'm trying to create for the good . . . everything will turn out fine." -Vice President Sarah Palin




Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb