Wednesday 28th Mat 2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
June 9th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 28th May Glacier Bay

Up at 5am, bright day, sun trying to break though the mist. Lovely breakfast - eggs, bacon, hotcakes and toast.

Dropped off at the warf, departed on the Fairweather ll catamaran at 7.30am. The mist lifted, what a day, so sunny, out on deck we needed jackets and hats due to the wind chill. Had a wonderful Park Ranger (Adriana) who was extremely knowledgeable. We saw so much, black bear, grizzly bear grazing on the hill side eating dandilions, goats, otter, whales and a huge wolf.

They gave us an awful wrap for lunch, (it happens), then we went up the west arm of the bay to view a couple of glaciers, including the Marion (sp). Which was outstanding, we manouvered though the ice to stay in front of the glacier for over half an hour. Just sttod in awe as the glacier calved into the sea, the blue colours were incrediable, got heaps of photos and video. Just loved the entire experience on the boat.
Got back to the dock at 3.30pm.

Walked up to the lodge (very touristy) for half an hour and then were taken back to the Inn. Sat outside for a while, just a glorious day. We all had a drink before departing to the airport. The fishermen had a successful day, a record halibet 433lb (wich they put back as the big ones are female and have over 12 million eggs), salmon and yelowfish.

Geoff and Lena flew back with 6 on their plane and our luggage at 5.50pm. We left at 6.10 with just us and the pilot. We went up and over the mountains and were in Juneau in 15min. Was like being with a boy racer but in a plane, but I was happy to land, those planes are just tiny.

We went out with Geoff and Lena for dinner, had a walk around town three huge cruise ships at the dock, the town was buzzing and so warm. Ate at the Hanger after having a drink at a bar while we waited for a table.

Back to the hotel our flashest room so far, with a king bed and plent of space. We slept like logs.

What an incrediable day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb