Juneau Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Juneau
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday July 13, 2007 Frank was worn out from the cruise yesterday. Too much excitement, wind and rain I guess, so it was a low-key day. It wasn’t raining and it was warmer than it has been.
Across from Juneau is Douglas Island. We drove down the island and just looked around. They have a ski area. It’s not very big - - but they get over 200 inches of snow a year. We stopped at a few beaches and looked for birds.
After lunch we visited the Alaska State Museum and Juneau City Museum and walked around downtown Juneau. Friday must be an off day for cruise ships. There were only two in port. Usually there are five. By late afternoon it was raining again. A trip to the store and a fill up with gas ($3.29/gal) and we were back at the campground by 5:00.
QUESTIONS - We’ve been asked several questions about the trip so I thought I’d answer them.
The Dogs - Martie and Regan were not acclimated to traveling before this trip. By the third week they had gotten used to the routine. We keep them in harnesses most of the day and they can’t get off the sofa when we travel. We find they also do better attached when we leave them alone for a few hours. Regan is insecure and can be a barker when we leave. That has improved. He does better when we run the exhaust fan.
We can leave for hours and they just sleep (like they were at home). We don’t take them on hikes because they really aren’t outdoor dogs. The real test was the ferry ride (24 hrs) and they did great with that. They even sleep late in the morning now. They’ve turned out to be good travel companions.
Travel Schedule - The stops we made on our way to Alaska were basically planned; Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Glacier National Park, Waterton, Banff and Jasper were all on the way to Prince Rupert BC. We just decided how long we wanted to stay at each place when we got there.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb