Snap shot on our time in Alaska...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Inside Passage
September 26th 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Decided to skip the text and just post some pictures that summarise our time in Alaska.

(scroll to bottom of page)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Approach to Sitka..Approach to Sitka..
Approach to Sitka..

About 8am in the morning.
Early morning in Sitka...Early morning in Sitka...
Early morning in Sitka...

Still early before the mist lifted...there was this surreal 'Avatar' the movie feel to this view. Simply stunning..
Just some trees and rocks..Just some trees and rocks..
Just some trees and rocks..

...again the camera, or more the person behind it, just doesn't give the scenery it's true due...here trees are so much more than just trees as the settings are amazing...
Humpbacks in SitkaHumpbacks in Sitka
Humpbacks in Sitka

...quietly confident this will be a day the kids never forget. Just so many whales, and just so close....incredible day.
Yep, the glacier..Yep, the glacier..
Yep, the glacier..

...trying, and failing miserably, to give some scale or proportion to the glacier. Just enormous...
Cafe life in Skagway...Cafe life in Skagway...
Cafe life in Skagway...

Very rustic setting, semi alternative cafe and menu..
'Shy Girl' and 'Shy Girl' ...'Shy Girl' and 'Shy Girl' ...
'Shy Girl' and 'Shy Girl' ...

Neither are shy and the dog took a shine to Caitlin.
"Look into my eyes...""Look into my eyes..."
"Look into my eyes..."

One of the dogs in the musher team. Amazing eyes and great temperament.
Icy Point Straits...Icy Point Straits...
Icy Point Straits...

The kids on the beach at Icy Point Straits with the cruise ship behind them. Ever noticed how annoying it is when people still explain self evident photographs..
Just to make up the numbers...Just to make up the numbers...
Just to make up the numbers...

Kids loved squirrels and followed a couple of them around the beach and forest for a quite a while. This one parked himself in a log post right alongside us.
Graffitti at Skagway...Graffitti at Skagway...
Graffitti at Skagway...

Logos of all the lines and ships that visit here painted along the cliff face. This is just one section.
Just 'ran' out of time...Just 'ran' out of time...
Just 'ran' out of time...

Did the circuits dozens of times to be fair as we wandered around Deck 12. Running, nah.


27th September 2012

Relived Alaska through your cruise comments and pictures.
I use to live in Sitka and was thrilled when you had such a great time in my old home town. Having lived there, I only wished you and your family could have seen even more of what Sitka has to offer. But, port time is limited. I think you would agree that Alaska is a place you could definitely visit more than once. Hope you get to experience it again and even again! Thanks for such a great blog.
3rd October 2012

Fantastic photos.........
............I love the one of the squirrel in the hole in the tree, I can also see a bear there ;-)

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.121s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb