Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
June 13th 2011
Published: October 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After finishing our first year of teaching, Katherine and I packed our bags and headed off to America's last fronteir. We were going to visit Gwen and her husband, Tony in Fairbanks. The first several days we spent at their house, catching up and visiting local attractions such as Pioneer Park, North Pole, AK, and downtown Fairbanks.

Pioneer is touted as Alaska's only historic themepark. It has no entry fee and it has several museums as well as lots of outdoor space for children to play. It is a good place to learn some Alaskan history. Another great place to learn about Alaksa is the Fairbanks vistor center in downtown Fairbanks. There isn't too much in downtown other than a few shops and restaurants but the Fudge Pot is a must taste stop. It specializes in blueberry and cranberry fudge and also serves blueberry softserve ice cream. Yum! I'm pretty sure I consumed at least a half pound of fudge during this trip! My favorite day trip though was undoubtedly visiting the North Pole. It was so exciting to visit with Santa and see his reindeer in June! There is a huge gift shop and a small outdoor market and I very much enjoyed walking around and look at all of the Christmas items.

After spending nearly a week with Gwen and Tony, it was soon time to head back to the lower 48. Before leaving, Katherine and I rented a car and headed south to Denali National Park, Anchorage, and Whitier.

Drive to Denali - is that smoke?

Restaurant on the side of the rode

Alaska Backpackers Inn

Major Marine Tou'rs Five Hour Glacier Cruise

Tunnel into Whittier

Bald Eagles

Moose?!? Mt. McKinly



We spent another night at the hostel and then drove back to Fairbanks just in time to catch our flight home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fudge Pot FudgeFudge Pot Fudge
Fudge Pot Fudge

We visited this place at least twice during our visit!
Cranberry and Blueberry FudgeCranberry and Blueberry Fudge
Cranberry and Blueberry Fudge

Couldn't resist trying the two 'exotic' flavors!
The only moose I saw in Alaska...The only moose I saw in Alaska...
The only moose I saw in Alaska...

Not that I'm bitter or anything...
Land of the midnight sun...Land of the midnight sun...
Land of the midnight sun...

Taken at approximately midnight.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb