Scenic Hiway to Fairbanks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the car to Fairbanks



Early Monday morning, we packed up the car & head north up the Parks Hiway to Fairbanks, Alaska. Snow capped mountains & frost covered trees lined the roadway as we gained higher ground and cooler temperatures. Just outside of Denali Park, the GPS soon reported single digits - 9 degrees! Yikes! (Can you hear Kathy saying "yeah!"???)

After 4 + hours of driving, nature called to fill our bellies & empty our bladders. (Hmmm, was there a roadside squat?? We'll never tell!) A roadside Grill provided yummy burgers for all!! Soon we were back on the road and making tire tracks to Fairbanks. Sadly, there were no real wild-life sightings other than a LARGE Raven or two, but that didn't discourage us from enjoying the gorgeous scenery.

Our agenda included a quick trip around the city to familiarize ourselves, then a wonderful dinner at the Turtle Club. Thankfully we had 7pm reservations, or else we would have had to wait 45 minutes to sit down. The menu boasted Prime Rib, Shrimp & Halibut... along with a tray of tasty deserts. With full bellies, we left the restaurant for the hotel, noting the thermometer had finally hit 0 degrees.

Chena Hot Springs



Approximately 1.5 hours north of Fairbanks is Chena Hot Springs. If you don't mind the sulfur smell, it's a wonderful place to visit. We decided to do a quick quirky tour of the Ice Museum. Highly fascinating! The room is kept at 20 degrees all year round.

This evening we indulged in Massages & dinner in the room with a movie. More later!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Dinner @ "Elf's Den"Dinner @ "Elf's Den"
Dinner @ "Elf's Den"

Guy Ritchie ate here!!


Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb