Finally There


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Fairbanks
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Now back at Honolulu Airport. Have a beer........ have another beer, only so we can view the fascinating garden at the airport right next to where the beer is. Maree goes off to take photos of the garden (which you will probably see on our return or here if we can get it working .. looks just like home only more established and trimmed to perfection). Meanwhile Des has a snooze, sort of, nearly falls off his chair (now does that sound like Des?). Anyway the slip attracts the attention of the couple at the next table who turn our to be Victorians doing the same Canadian Tour as we will be, only backwards.
Nice couple.
9pm Again Sunday AGAIN/STILL.
NorthWEST Airline - squeeseee 3-3 plane not even leg room for us!! Des Row (can't remember), Maree disappears into the bowels of the plane.

5 & a bit hours later its dawn on Monday 7th May over Sunny Seattle.
Sunny until, you break through the clouds and then its 'kind on gloomy and early, like 5.30am
and oh, we really are a bit Red Eyed.

Seattle Airport is a bit bigger than Darwin.

Directed to take the subway (you heard right - the subway) to the appropriate part of the terminal at which our next flight on Alaskian Airlines may or may not depart.

Have a couple of Earl Grays to assay the situation for a while.
Move camp a few times to get a better view.

As a distraction Maree wanders off to find a place to live at the airport (like thay guy in the movie) on account that we seem to spend so much time in them. Comes back (several times) with just the right location --But the rents too high... I think travel is starting to affect her!!!

Which reminds me. Have I told you about her hair?
Its causing quite a commotion where ever we go - she goes actually.
Back when you shave your head for a Cancer cure, or do something crazy, on came a dash of red lighting at the very front of the 'Blond locks'.
Young men, old men make comments.
Women of all ages smile wontingly, accsuingly, derisively, knowingly but most of all jealouly (if only they had such beauty, tenacity or thought of it first) and one poor kid in Sydney nearly twisted his neck off as we approached and departed in opposite direction escalators.
I think travel is starting to affect me. And she just enjoys the attention.

"The blueist blue you're ever seen is in Seattle........" we keep coming up with old songs that make connections

Seattle, Washington State, US of A Monday 7 May (still) 2007.

11am
Bright Idea - Itinerary has next flight to Fairbanks on Alaskain Airlines 103, leaving at 15.27
Departure board has next flight AA1 leaving at 12 noon.
Also noticed that at Honolulu Northwest had 'standby'.
Let have a go.
Staff at AA very helpful and voila up, up, and way to Fairbanks via Anchorage on the earlier flight.

Best plane and best (whackiest, friendliest) crew.
Aloha Anchorage. One hour stop over. First pics of snowcovered mountains and ...
in the courtyard and another statue of a dude with a surfboard???

On board again, next stop Fairbanks, Alaska.
Same beaut plane BUT crew change -- No personality.

After arrival in Fairbanks - Meet the Moose.
The moose reminds me, as does Maree, what a great idea it was to get separated from our luggage...
The lovely lady at the airport 'will try to locate it and send it on to our loggings'.

Now remember that bag we'vre carrying around everywhere, well that's all we've got, to face frosty Fairbanks because up till now its just been T-shirts in airconditioned comfit.

We venture outside with some trepitation. One taxi left - He's ours and on the short journey to lodgings he enquires if we are tourists and then is so elated because it means the trickle will soon turn into a flood.
All Seasons Inn turns out to be a very confortable B&B with host Mary ever attentive and very helpful.

We head straight to the shower... our first since leaving Sydney and then New Jocks: how sweet. Not so sure about the old socks.. they pong out the room and have to be locked in the cupboard.

Now dressed in a combination of clean and not so clean we head DownTown Fairbanks a few blocks away. We have a look arounf to get our bearings (even easy for me, thats Maree) and to find somewhere to eat, its about 7pm.

Now to quote from the Lonely Planet Guide "the downtown area hs a down and out feel. First impressions can be tough"
It's as if we have stepped back in time. The buildings are unremarkable, shabby and the area drab (no greenery) and unkempt. BUT then you remember they're just coming out of winter and 6 to 7 foot of snow. There are little buds on all the plants and trees and everything will look beautiful 'next week' when the tourist seasons starts.

We find an Italian place for dinner. First part is delicious BUT (remember how Des loves parmeson cheese) well its sprinkled over both main meals --without asking (cause that's what they do).
We find our way back home. Although we went a couple of streets too far, but it's not difficult because at 10.30 at night its still day light. Not even a hint of dark.

When we get back to the B&B our bags have majically materialised.




Advertisement



12th May 2007

Hello
Hi MuM and DaD. Sounds like your having fun already. Although I'm not sure about having more than one Sunday. The airports you visit are more exciting than the ones I do. I am at home at the moment. Keep describing everything then I feel like I am there (but still wishing I was).

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb