Day 21 - The wonders of nature


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was a discovery day, with again an early bus out to mile 55.3 (the whole length of the one road in and out is 95 miles), where 11 of us were going to be dropped off. We had signed up for a hike with a Park ranger to get to learn more about Deanli, the surrounding area and the importance of the park.

We met Cass, our ranger, who knew so much about the animals, flora and fauna, and history that we all were soon asking many questions just to tap into some of the knowledge. It did however impede on our progress and we only went up one ridge and pretty much back again in little over 4 hours - but what a ridge.

From the top we had the most 'AWESOME' (Cass's word for everything on this planet, pretty much!) view of Mt McKinley in all her splendor. Very, very impressive if you like that sort of thing (which we of course do very much). We also got a fantastic view down into a river bed where we watched 4 of the 7 wolf cubs playing together for an hour.

We did get to see a Grizzly as well on the journey back out, who was busy eating in the riverbed in the afternoon sun.

All in all today has been 'AWESOME' and both of us will remember it for a long time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 107; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb