Denali


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
July 17th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday morning it was 52 degrees and raining. Chilly. Barbara gave all the guys a haircut. That kept her busy for awhile. Larry got his truck fixed. We spent the day catching up on laundry, cleaning and getting groceries for our trip today. Michael, Jessica, Scotty and Chrissie came by last evening to tell us goodbye. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality. This morning we were getting gas and I had on a sweatsuit and jacket and a lady pulled in next to us with a tee shirt and shorts on. Wonder which of us is an Alaskan. We drove from Fairbanks to Denali. Hopefully, we will make our first visit to Denali National Park tomorrow. It is home to Mount McKinley or "Denali" as most Alaskans call it. The word "Denali" is an Indian name meaning The Great One. Mount McKinley is the tallest mountain in North America. It is 20,320 ft. tall. Denali National Park and Preserve was created in 1917 to protect the wildlife. Eventually the park expanded to 6-million acres. It is home to moose, caribou, Dall sheep, wolves and grizzly bears. The drive here was beautiful. Hopefully, I can add some pictures of the scenery around here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb