Denali National Park, AK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Denali
September 4th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chillin'Chillin'Chillin'

Frank and Martie take a nap
Tuesday September 4, 2007 Today wasn’t as cold as yesterday and the sun was shining. We got on the bus for Wonder Lake around 9:00 am. We hadn’t been to the end of the shuttle bus road which goes to mile 87 so we thought today was our chance to do it. The bus was packed. The autumn colors on the mountains were beautiful. Here and there gold aspens would be scattered on the ridges, looking like gold dust. We saw wildlife; a sow and cubs and a single bear filling up on berries, a flock of dall sheep and a number of caribou walking down a river bed, probably migrating. But, the big bonus today was Mt. McKinley. It was visible almost all the way to Wonder Lake. The bus driver said that is very unusual. Since we were closer in proximity it looked huge around the other mountains. Wonder Lake is known for its photographic reflections. The popular photo of Mt. McKinley reflected in a lake was done there. Only tent camping is allowed in the area.
It was a nice ride and a good day. The people around us were talkative and we enjoyed the company. We got back to the campsite around 5:15 pm. Tomorrow we head back to Fairbanks to stock up for the trip home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Mt. McKinleyMt. McKinley
Mt. McKinley

The mountain was clear for most of the trip to Wonder Lake. It was really special.
View From the BusView From the Bus
View From the Bus

He's chowing down on berries to get ready for the winter.
Wonder LakeWonder Lake
Wonder Lake

Known for reflections
From the BusFrom the Bus
From the Bus

Members of the caribou herd. They are almost the same color as the gravel.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb