A "Grand Slam" in Denali


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 13

“A Grand Slam”, that is what our driver called it; when one sees the mountain, a lynx, snowshoe hare, bear, Dall Sheep, caribou, moose and wolf.

Because we are camped in Teklanika River Campground we were able to purchase a pass for each Dale and I to ride the bus; kids ride free. With this pass a person must reserve one ride but may ride on any other bus to any stop as long as there is room on that bus on any day while camping. Today we went as far back as the buses go, to Wonder Lake.

We were so concerned that the kids get to see the animals and we saw it all!!! The wolf and Denali were not that clearly visible but peeked out at us. As for the other animals we did see them but the most fun for all of us were the bears. We'd seen several bears including one a mother and 2 spring cubs where the cubs were playing and wrestling. Then on the way out we were going along and there, near the road was a mother and new cub. The cub was eating while the mother was nearby, then she laid down and rested while keeping an eye on her baby. It was so cute and kids were so thrilled.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb