Camping in Denali


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 12

We came into Denali early afternoon only to find out that we could have gone into our site at 11a.m. We are camping in Teklanika, a campground about 30 miles into Denali National Park with about 60 sites. From here campers must stay for a 3 night minimum and may only hike or ride the Forest Service bus.

We found a campsite at the back edge of the 1st loop so that we face the river bar with about 50' of trees separating us from the bar. The bar has about 4 separate small rivers running thru it, the deepest about 1' deep. Wolves and bears are known to frequent the bar hence kids must carry walkie talkies at all times and yell frequently. Yelling frequently does not seem to be a problem as kids are constantly yelling at each other or at the dog.

The kids really like the campground and especially the bar area as they “mine” the glacial flour for something or another.

We are right next to the amphitheater so we got to attend a program the 1st night on the lynx and other animals in the area. The next program is Saturday on the faults in Denali.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb